SgCafe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SgCafe

SgCafe, Singapore's Online Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cab fare cheat strikes again

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Max
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
Max

Male Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2009-01-03

Cab fare cheat strikes again Empty
PostSubject: Cab fare cheat strikes again   Cab fare cheat strikes again Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 11:57 pm

Cab fare cheat strikes again 20090212.200546_4190336---cabby2

Fare cheats are not new to cabbies. As reported by Wanbao previously, furious cabbies have called in to the Chinese paper's hotline to complain about a female fare-dodger.

According to them, she used various ruses to escape from paying her fare. Within a span of 20 days, the same woman was said to have been taking cabs around the island, all without paying.

In the last three days, fresh reports have come in about a female passenger who not only managed to wriggle out of her fare, but also cheat cabbies of their hard-earned cash.

The excuse most often used?

She would claim that she needs to buy asthma medication for her nephew urgently, but once at the destination, she would "realise" that she did not bring enough cash with her.

Now, it seems, reports from cabbies have thrown up new information about the fare cheat, who introduces herself to the drivers as a "criminal lawyer".

At least six of them have called the Wanbao hotline, claiming to have been duped by the same female passenger.

One commonality? They all describe the passenger as "honest-looking".

Needing to buy medicine
At least five other cab drivers have been tricked by a woman claiming to be buying asthma medication.

Wanbao had previously reported four cases. The Chinese daily received news of the fifth case two nights ago from cabby Zheng Xiu Fa, who claimed he lost $90 as a result of a similar ruse.

According to Mr Zheng, he had picked up a woman passenger, who said she needed to go to the pharmacy at Yishun MRT to buy some medicine, before going back to her home in Bukit Batok.

Mr Zheng said: "After we reached Yishun, the lady got off, but came running back awhile later, saying that the pharmacy did not accept payment through credit cards. She asked to go back to Bukit Batok, where she lived, so she could pick up some cash."

Mr Zheng told her that making the trip to Bukit Batok and back would take at least half an hour. Worried the pharmacy might be closed, he offered to lend her $60 for the medicine.

"I was thinking at the time that she was going back home anyway and could return the money to me, so I decided to lend her the sum," said Mr Zheng.

However, she she turned around and asked him for another $15, saying that it was for "GST".

Mr Zheng said he trusted her because she "looked honest", and gave her the money. After waiting 20 minutes for her, the woman was still nowhere to be seen. By that time, the fare had jumped to $12.

He said: "I went around to look for her, but couldn't find her. That was when I realised I had been cheated. I lost $87 of my hard-earned money."

Another case, another excuse
Last evening, yet another victim called Wanbao to report his case.

Mr Zhu, 56, said he picked up the same "honest-looking" woman. This time, the passenger claimed to be a lawyer. She said she had to rush to help her brother pay his debts.

She then told him that in her rush, she did not bring enough cash to pay the debt. According to him, the lady looked "pitiful" and requested to borrow some money from him. However, that was the last Mr Zhu saw of her.

Mr Zhu hopes his colleagues will learn from his experience.

He said, "I picked her up at about 10.30pm around Ang Mo Kio Avenue 10".

"She spoke fluently in both Mandarin and English, and told me that she was a criminal lawyer. She also said that she has been working for six years in a big law firm in town."

According to Mr Zhu, the passenger said she needed to go to Woodlands Avenue 5 to get some documents from a client, before going to Geylang Lorong 16 to help her brother pay his debts. Thereafter, she needed to go back to her home in Aljunied.

"After getting off at Woodlands, two people were waiting for her and they talked for awhile. I assumed they were her clients. After that, she said she wanted to go to Geylang. Along the way, she received a call on her mobile, and suddenly told me that she needed another $30 to pay off her brother's debt.

"Initially, she said she wanted to go back home to get the money." said Mr Zhu.

However, seeing that it was already late, he kindly offered to lend her the extra $30.

Mr Zhu was taken aback when she then asked for $65 instead, but trusted her and handed her the money.

"Before she got off at Geylang, she said she would be back soon. But I got bored of waiting in the cab and went to a nearby coffeeshop for a drink.

"After waiting for 40 minutes, with the cab fare totalling $30, she was still nowhere to be seen. That's when I realised I had been taken for a ride.

"I lost 95 dollars for nothing," Mr Zhu said.

Source: http://www.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/Story/A1Story20090212-121525.html
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1