SgCafe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SgCafe

SgCafe, Singapore's Online Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Taiwan: Send me back to jail

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Max
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
Max

Male Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2009-01-03

Taiwan: Send me back to jail Empty
PostSubject: Taiwan: Send me back to jail   Taiwan: Send me back to jail Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:52 pm

TAIPEI - A JOBLESS Taiwan man released from prison two years ago asked police to send him back so he could have free meals, police and local media said on Tuesday, a grim sign of hard economic times on the island.

When police found the 45-year-old convicted arsonist lying on a street in a popular Taipei shopping district, he requested a return to life behind bars, nostalgic for the 10 years he had already served, the China Post newspaper reported.

Wang had also contacted police separately with his request, a spokesman said. Officers who found him bought him a boxed lunch but declined to send him back to prison, the police spokesman said.

'We advised him to keep looking for work,' he said. 'I don't know why he can't find a job. Maybe employers think he's not suitable or that he's too old.'

Taiwan is in recession, with a slump in exports leading a record economic contraction in the fourth quarter of last year.

Economists see more weakness through most of 2009, given falling demand for Taiwan's electronics goods in overseas markets. -- REUTERS

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Asia/Story/STIStory_342313.html
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1