SgCafe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SgCafe

SgCafe, Singapore's Online Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

World record as British angler lands 55-stone stingray that's FIVE TIMES his weight

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Max
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
Max

Male Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2009-01-03

World record as British angler lands 55-stone stingray that's FIVE TIMES his weight Empty
PostSubject: World record as British angler lands 55-stone stingray that's FIVE TIMES his weight   World record as British angler lands 55-stone stingray that's FIVE TIMES his weight Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 11:57 am

World record as British angler lands 55-stone stingray that's FIVE TIMES his weight

By MAIL FOREIGN SERVICE
Last updated at 8:27 PM on 24th February 2009

It took 90 minutes to land, 13 men to heave it out of the water... and weighed 55 stone when they finally got it to the scales.

So it's little wonder that when Ian Welch first hooked the record stingray, it almost pulled him into the river.

Mr Welch, who weighs 111/2 stone, said: 'It dragged me across the boat and would have pulled me in, had my colleague not grabbed my trousers.'

World record as British angler lands 55-stone stingray that's FIVE TIMES his weight Article-0-03A617D6000005DC-187_468x519
It was THIS big: Ian Welch, centre, poses with his world record-breaking catch

The angler, from Aldershot, Hampshire, was fishing in Thailand when he landed the ray, which is the biggest freshwater fish to be caught with a rod.

The biologist was helping with a stingray tagging programme on the Maeklong River, when he hooked the fish.

World record as British angler lands 55-stone stingray that's FIVE TIMES his weight Article-0-03A6175A000005DC-784_468x395
The monster turned out to be female - and pregnant

'It buried itself on the bottom. I tried with every ounce of power but it just would not budge. After half an hour my arms began shaking and after an hour my legs went.

World record as British angler lands 55-stone stingray that's FIVE TIMES his weight Article-1153982-03A812D7000005DC-537_233x321

'Another 30 minutes went by and then I put a glove on and physically pulled the line with gritted teeth.'

Once the stingray was off the bottom, it was relatively easy to lift it 30ft to the surface, said Mr Welch, 45.

'As soon as we saw it there was just silence because everyone was just in awe of this thing.'

Eventually the group towed the ray to the bank, put it in a paddling pool, tagged it and took DNA, before releasing it.

The giant freshwater ray is listed as a vulnerable species by the International Union for Conservation of Nature.

This one, 7ft long and wide, with a tail of 10ft, had its venomous barb wrapped in cloth on the bank.

Mr Welch said: 'I was exhausted afterwards. I did very little for the rest of the day - and just had a cold beer.'

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1153982/World-record-British-angler-lands-55-stone-stingray-thats-FIVE-TIMES-weight.html
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1